Singer, Songwriter, FRIZZ RECORDS Recording Artist, & Host of IS BLACK MUSIC? on Resonance FM

Saturday 20 March 2010

Welcome and Last nite Ike saved my life

Welcome to my Blog, and welcome to our springtime here in London! It is March 20th and though it was damp it was not cold. The winter is over and where are you? Last night I was at Shunt Lounge jamming on acoustic piano with Anna Frisch. Shunt Lounge for those of you who have never been there is literally underground in a dis-used part of London Bridge Tube Station. It is a very big dis-used part of London Bridge. DJ Anna was droping what she loves the best - John Zorn and Marc Ribot tracks. I was over-dubbing live on to them. It was a Funky Arts affair, with everyone screaming "turn it up". But that is the point of Shunt Lounge. It ain't supposed to be a traditional rave club, it is offering something diffrent than just loud drum and bass.

It is so chilled out there since they re-opened. Before, if you were doin performance art in there, you had to integrate the loud boom boom boom of the DJs into your audio soundtrack. Now the DJs dont start to get live before midnight.

Then we danced. Oh yea, I got down with Jean Genie with some Nutbush City Limits. One of the hardest dance floor joints to ever hit! Ike (and Tina) Turner, was a bad man in more ways than one. A girl I was dancing with earlier asked me, 'who this was'. It was a cover of The Beatles' Come Together, and it was pretty freaky. Didn't sound exactly like no one you could put your finger on. Like The Fall backing Dinah Washington on a cell phone cussing her 6th husband. I guessed Ike and Tina, but the sista didn't believe me. So I asked DJ Anna and sure enuff it was! Bad Ass...........

2 comments:

  1. Hey Art - great to see you're blogging! Shunt sounds so cool - cannot believe I haven't been yet...let me know WELL in advance when you're playing and I'll arrange a trip down, would love to play there myself too with you!

    Ms Hypnotique
    x

    PS you totally have to sort out these comments...people need to be able to comment without signing in otherwise you will get NO comments - I'm signing in not as me as I couldn't use any of the other options

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Suzi, it's Raphael...I changed Art's settings so that anyone can comment...thanks for pointing that out, it was on the default setting...let me know if there are still any problems with it...R x

    ReplyDelete