Singer, Songwriter, FRIZZ RECORDS Recording Artist, & Host of IS BLACK MUSIC? on Resonance FM

Monday 3 March 2014

HIPSTA SISTAS

The alternative black music radio show titled 'Is Black Music', that I present, did a one hour special focusing on black women making underground and alternative music

While compiling the tracks for the show, it made me think about where I'm from...

In Los Angeles there were many girls around. All types of girls. The neighborhood was diverse. They were all wondorous in their own way...

They wore different colours in the California sun, and when we were old enough to go out in the world, they began to become bright lights in the nightclub nights, and the days looked better when they smiled...

Conversations rarely went far enough...largely because I didn't know what to say... I was so in awe... In the end I took the Mean Mr Macho path, and they inevitably disappeared...

But I hadn't lost them forever. Because now here in London we are surrounded by people from every wondrous corner of the world. And there are some very hip sistas among them...

After I selected the songs for this ladies-only show, I was surprised to find that I had spent meaningful times with most of these artists. The tracks are all fairly recent releases (2013-14). Other than Neneh and Valerie, they are all but ignored by the media. The courage and conviction that an artist exhibits when working in such shadows is inspiring.

March 8th is International Women's Day, and I hope you enjoy listening to this radio show, and our sistas that participated...

IS BLACK MUSIC February 26, 2014
, ALTERNATIVE SISTAHOOD Playlist:

Sun Ra - I'll Wait For You

Art Terry - Hipsta Sista

Kandia Crazy Horse - California

Mantana Roberts - Responsory

Neneh Cherry - Blank Project

Renu - Midnight Radio

Radikal Queen - Shout

Vedina Mosé - Warrior

Krystal Warren - Tuesday Morning

Errollyn Wallen & Bonnie Greer - Yes

Valerie June - Tennessee Time

Miryam Solomon - Simply Beautiful

Mantana Roberts - River Ruby Dues

Listen to the show on Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment